The Rialto Bridge is one of the four bridges spanning the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy. It is the oldest bridge across the canal, and was the dividing line for the districts of San Marco and San Polo.
The first dry crossing of the Grand Canal was a pontoon bridge built in 1181 by Nicolò Barattieri. The development and importance of the Rialto market on the eastern bank increased traffic on the floating bridge, so it was replaced in 1255 by a wooden bridge.
During the first half of the 15th century two rows of shops were built along the sides of the bridge. The rents brought an income to the State Treasury, which helped maintain the bridge.
Maintenance was vital for the timber bridge. It was partly burnt in the revolt led by Bajamonte Tiepolo in 1310. In 1444 it collapsed under the weight of a crowd watching a boat parade and it collapsed again in 1524.
The present stone bridge, a single span designed by Antonio da Ponte, was finally completed in 1591.
Built between 1967 and 1972, the Nový Most is a road bridge over the Danube and it is the world’s longest cable-stayed bridge to have one pylon and one cable-stayed plane. A special attraction is its flying saucer-shaped structure housing a restaurant.
Since its construction the bridge was called “Most Slovenského národného povstania” (English: Bridge of the Slovak National Uprising), although locally it was called New Bridge. In 1993, its name was changed by the Bratislava city Parliament to Nový Most (English: New Bridge) to unify its official name with the one actually used by the people.
The bridge was built between 1904 and 1905, being destructed in 1916 by the Austrians during the First World War to prevent the invading forces from using it. The actual bridge, reconstructed between 1925 and 1927 is very similar to the first one with the exception of having only four sub-arches instead of the original five. During the Second World War the bridge suffered only minimal damage from bomb attacks, which the Germans repaired in a few days. With an arch span of 85 m, it is the second-longest stone arch in the world and the longest stone arch among train bridges.
The Initiation Well, in the Regaleira Palace, is located in the town of Sintra. Looking like an upside down tower, where at every 15 steps a plateau is reached, in a total of nine leading to the depths of the earth. The nine plateaus remind the nine circles of Hell, the nine sections of Purgatory and the nine heavens of Paradise, as designated by Dante in Divine Comedy. It is believed that it was used in rituals of initiation into masonry, giving it’s name.
The Irish Sky Garden was designed by the american artist James Turrell, who main work concerned with light and space, to complement the rounded and pyramid-like shapes of natural landscape that surround this ancient Celtic High Fort. The most important thing is the experience, that inside turns into outside and the other way around, in the sense that relationships between the Irish landscape and sky changes.
Yuanyang Rice Terraces, located on the southern slopes of Ailao Mountain in Yuanyang County, was created and cultivated by the Hani people’s ancestors for at least the past 1300 years. In their struggle against the difficult terrain they successfully established the terraces, where they grew rice in order to make a living. The creativity of this people turned the mountain area into one artistic beauty. In recognition, the Ming Dynasty emperor granted the title of ‘Skillful Sculptor’ to Hani people and their good reputation was passed down from generation to generation.
The Monticello Dam, which holds back Lake Berryessa, features a morning glory spillway. This type of spillway is basically a giant cement funnel and is also known as The Glory Hole. Rather than spilling over the dam, high waters spill into the funnel. This is the largest in the world, with a diameter of 72 ft (22 m). It is used very rarely, but it is quite the sight to see it being put to use.
The Malacca Straits Mosque is a mosque located on the man-made Malacca Island near Malacca Town, Malaysia. It looks like a floating structure if the water level is high. This mosque showcase the excellence and glorious modern Islamic architecture. Apart from serving as a place of worship, it has also become a famous tourist destination.
The Magdeburg Water Bridge is a navigable aqueduct in Germany, opened in October 2003 and part of the Magdeburg crossing of waterways. It connects the Elbe-Havel Canal to the Mittellandkanal, crossing over the Elbe River. It is notable for being the longest navigable aqueduct in the world, with a total length of 918 metres (3,012 ft).
The Château de Chenonceau is a manor house built on the site of an old mill on the River Cher, sometime before its first mention in writing in the 11th century. The original manor was torched in 1412 to punish owner Jean Marques for an act of sedition. He rebuilt a castle and fortified mill on the site in the 1430s.